With heat temperature on the rise, the city of Detroit and the health department are taking steps to prepare residents for extreme heat in the next coming days. The city of Detroit is offering temperature relief by turning recreation centers and libraries into cooling centers during the heat advisory, which runs from noon Wednesday to 8 a.m. Thursday.
Chief Public Health Officer Denise Fair Razo released a statement saying, “Young children, older adults and those living with chronic medical conditions are especially vulnerable. The Detroit Health Department is working closely with Parks & Recreation Department to provide a safe space that is accessible to all residents.”
The NOAA recommends slowing down and staying cool to avoid injury and illness. Residents are advised to limit outdoor activities between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. and to watch out for signs of heat exhaustion. These may include, but are not limited to nausea, confusion, and a slowed or rapid heart rate.
As long as the extreme heat advisory remains in effect, cooling centers will be operational. Here is a list of the cooling centers and there times of operation:
- Adams Butzel Complex, 10500 Lyndon (M-F, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Farwell Recreation Center, 2711 E. Outer Drive (M-F, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; not open Saturdays)
- Lasky Recreation Center, 13200 Fenelon (M-F, 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.; not open Saturdays)
- Patton Recreation Center, 2301 Woodmere (M-F, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Kemeny Recreation Center, 2260 S. Fort (M-F, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Crowell Recreation Center, 16630 Lahser (M-F, 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.; not open Saturdays)
- Heilmann Recreation Center, 19601 Crusade (M-F, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Additionally, the Detroit Public Library will offer relief from extreme temperatures. All library are open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday thru Thursday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays, however as a result of COVID-19, library cooling centers are limited to two hours and 50% capacity. Here is a list of libraries being used as cooling centers.
- Main Library, 5201 Woodward
- Campbell Branch, 8733 W. Vernor Highway
- Edison Branch, 18400 Joy
- Jefferson Branch, 12350 E. Outer Drive
- Parkman Branch, 1766 Oakman
- Redford Branch, 21200 W. Grand River Ave.
- Wilder Branch, 7140 E. Seven Mile
Detroit please stay safe, hydrated and keep as cool as possible and above all please remain out of the heatextreme