Childhood hunger is a problem throughout the country and Metro Detroit.
In fact, 1 in 5 children across our community are at risk. Children are at even higher risk each summer when schools are not in session and meals are not being served (an ongoing challenge for almost a year and a half – as in-person school ended for so many)
That’s where Gleaners comes in.
Gleaners – along with its many partners and volunteers – is working hard once again toward a Hunger Free Summer for our children. Their “Summer Food Service Program” is augmenting existing food distribution initiatives to go that extra mile with:
- Pop-up food sites – including at area school, community centers, shopping plazas and other locations. (Emergency Mobile Grocery sites)
- “Grab and Go” drive-up sites – prepared meals for kids attending summer camps and daycares
- Mobile deliveries to neighborhoods where children live
- This food is nutritious, fresh, and healthy, including fruits, vegetables and milk.
Over the course of this summer, we hope to serve thousands of meals to our neighbors who need help!
Mason sat down to chat with Gleaners to find out how they’re helping the community in their own words
How you can help:
- From June through August, all donations made to Gleaners’ Hunger Free Summer Plus campaign will be matched by Citizens and other generous donors.
- Every dollar donated provides six meals to hungry neighbors in Southeast Michigan.
- If you know a family in need, they can text the word “Food” to 877-877 to find the three closest sites to their zip code or visit GCFB.org.